On 2022-02-13 8:03 p.m., Tim via users wrote:
Tim:
Thus far, Evolution is the least-worst one I've found on Linux.

I used fetchmail for a lot of years.  Then one of my upstream email servers switched to a modified and mostly-undocumented Yahoo connection mechanism, and I could not find the correct connection strings and ports to make it work, and was forced into either switching email clients or using a web browser as a substandard email client.  Various web notes for connecting are now improved enough that I think I could move back to fetchmail if circumstances required it.

I moved from fetchmail to Evolution, and initially thought it was brilliant.  The only initial issues that I faced were in trying to configure undocumented connectivity to Rogers (altered Yahoo) and Google upstream mail services.  Eventually, somebody published the correct incantations, like using SSMTP ports but not the protocol, and all was good for quite some time.  However, the Evolution ivory tower released a couple of bad versions that corrupted their internal db and I lost a lot of mail as a result.  IMHO, I have no idea why someone thought a db was a good idea in an email client, but maybe they came from a Microsoft background and email using the Jet db.  Anyway, I was never able to correct the problem, as there are no recovery tools, the devs are uncommunicative, and I experienced very poor support from their user group.  While I've done it very long ago, I have better things to develop than debugging what is supposed to be a well-designed client.  Maybe I only work on well-designed code, since I think that the coding complexity of Evolution is a bunch of accidents waiting to happen.

After about 2 years of fighting with an overly-complex mail client with internal corruption, I just gave up and switched to Thunderbird.  My first happy surprise was when both current upstream providers were recognized and correctly configured.  Then I got very busy after hours, as I could see about 10k of unread emails that Thunderbird had not fetched, presumably due to their broken db issues.  After a week of reading and getting back to people that I should have, I got my fingers well programmed for Thunderbird.  Luckily, if you use Firefox, then there is a lot of commonality in the UI.  I've now been using Thunderbird for about 3 years on a dozen machines, and am still happy with it.  Its now my go-to email client across multiple platforms, even (gasp!) Windows.  Its heavyweight, but very capable.

--

John Mellor