On Sun, 2022-02-13 at 22:03 -0500, John Mellor wrote:
> I moved from fetchmail to Evolution, and initially thought it was
> brilliant.  The only initial issues that I faced were in trying to
> configure undocumented connectivity to Rogers (altered Yahoo) and
> Google
> upstream mail services.  Eventually, somebody published the correct
> incantations, like using SSMTP ports but not the protocol, and all
> was
> good for quite some time.  However, the Evolution ivory tower
> released a
> couple of bad versions that corrupted their internal db and I lost a
> lot
> of mail as a result.  IMHO, I have no idea why someone thought a db
> was
> a good idea in an email client, but maybe they came from a Microsoft
> background and email using the Jet db.  Anyway, I was never able to
> correct the problem, as there are no recovery tools, the devs are
> uncommunicative, and I experienced very poor support from their user
> group.  While I've done it very long ago, I have better things to
> develop than debugging what is supposed to be a well-designed
> client.
> Maybe I only work on well-designed code, since I think that the
> coding
> complexity of Evolution is a bunch of accidents waiting to happen.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but I have to assume that this
happened quite some time ago. The current maintainer is in fact
extremely communicative and anxious to resolve problems.

I agree that the code base of Evolution is large, at least in part
because it's not just a mail client, and that even as an MUA it has to
deal with Exchange (it's the go-to MUA for Exchange users on Linux).
Personally, I only ever use IMAP and don't particularly care about the
non-mail aspects, so it works for me.

poc