On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:12:44 -0800
Samuel Sieb wrote:

> Which gui are you using?  I use nm-connection-editor and have had no
> issues with any network types I've setup.  Which buttons are you finding
> disabled?

That's the gui I was using. According to my old notes I could
never figure out how to create a bridge with no attached physical
interface. These commands did what I wanted, but nothing I tried
with the connection editor would work:

nmcli con add ifname bifrost type bridge con-name bifrost
nmcli con modify bifrost bridge.stp no
nmcli con modify bifrost ipv4.method manual
nmcli con modify bifrost ipv4.address 192.168.2.99/24
nmcli con modify bifrost ipv4.gateway 192.168.2.1
nmcli con modify bifrost ipv4.never-default true

Don't remember specifically what it wouldn't let me do, but I
remember thinking it would be a hell of a lot more useful if
instead of disabling controls, it left them enabled and popped
up an error saying why it won't work.