Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 3:35 PM Todd Zullinger <t...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I think it would be wise to send a unified message. Don't say one
> thing on the Mailing List Guidelines and another in mail messages. Say
> the same thing in both places.

Yeah, consistency is definitely a good thing, particularly
with guidelines.

Here is some text for review.  Comments welcome.

Hopefully, we can improve the current guidlines without
being too verbose (brevity is not one of my strengths).

I tried not to touch any text I didn't really need to
change.  Though I think the first paragraph of the "No
attachments" section is a bit long and windy -- I should
know. ;)

    === Keep it Short ===

    The users list maintains a maximum message length of 60
    kilobytes; other Fedora lists may have similar length-limits.
    Remember that thousands of copies of your message will exist
    in mailboxes -- please keep your messages as short as
    possible.

    Avoid including full log output, select only the most relevant
    lines or excessively quoting previous messages in the thread
    (trim the quoted text down to the most recent/relevant
    messages only).  If sharing a screenshot, crop it to the area
    required to get your point across.

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#Keep_it_Short

    ===<span id="No Attachments"></span> No attachments, Please ===

    Attachments to email make the messages much bigger. They
    create a large amount of extra Internet traffic when a mailing
    list sends the message and attachments to thousands of people
    worldwide. They also can create problems for the recipients,
    who may be limited to low-bandwidth connections. A reader may
    not know they are downloading an email with a large attachment
    until it is too late, and they might be blocked from getting
    other mail until they finish that download, which makes them
    frustrated.

    Please avoid attachments to your messages as much as possible.
    For text output like logs, trim the content to the bare
    minimum and include it in the body of the message.

    If an attachment is absolutely necessary, be aware of the
    strict limit ([[#short]]) for the maximum message length.

    It is also best to avoid sharing attachments as links to
    external sites.  Inevitably, those links become stale and
    future readers of the list archive will be unable to benefit
    from the context which these links provide.

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#No_attachments

I did the '<span id="No Attachments"></span>' to avoid
breaking links to the old section title.  That may not show
up for folks who have mail clients which parse HTML even in
a text/plain message.  :)

--
Todd