On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Misha Shnurapet
<shnura...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 05.12.2011, 17:02, "Reindl Harald" <h.rei...@thelounge.net>:

>>>  There is no arguing that the new GNOME 3 is a significant change.
>>>  But what you had with GNOME 2 was a result of about a decade of
>>> development.
>>>  You want the same user experience
>>
>> SURELY!
>>
>> nobody forced the developers to throw all away and start from scratch
>> if they decide to do so the should hol d back their crap until it is
>> ready or learn what refactoring is and maintain the existing code
>
> No, they didn't have to keep the code to themselves. That is Open Source, and
> that is how the software is developed and bug reports gathered. 3rd party
> developers have been provided with all the necessary tools and the codebase
> to create what users would further desire. There is no discrimination,
> neither intentionally built obstacles.
>
> And before GNOME 3.0 was released, there had been loads of tech previews,
> presentations, alpha and beta builds, blog posts, screenshots, videos and all
> kinds of other information on the Internet about what the new GNOME 3 was
> going to be. The project source code repository, the mailing lists and the
> bugzilla were functional 24/7. Where have you all been when you saw it was
> going to hurt you?

I was using GNOME 2. You know, there is a tiny group of people called
users, that supposes that in 21st century they may expect OS to be
actually usable even with such distribution as Fedora, without having
to run alphas, betas and previews. Not to mention that even if all
these arguments started even at alpha stage, they would be ignored by
developers just like they are ignored now.

> 05.12.2011, 17:32, "Pasha R" <pashar...@gmail.com>:
>>>  GNOME 3 is much more extensible than any other previous version of GNOME,
>>> it is made to receive many kinds of extensions AND IT WILL.
>>
>> This looks more like marketing-speech.
>
> Bare facts only.
If you say so...

>> I haven't yet seen a single
>> extension that is on par in terms of functionality with what I use in
>> GNOME2 for years.
>
> "Noone has yet written" makes you think GNOME 3 isn't capable. Okay.
As I said above, I believe expectation from released software to be
useful doesn't look really unreasonable these days. So all these
"someone will write something someday" looks like poor excuse for me.

>>>  Old hardware receives the classic user experience in the form of fallback
>>> mode. But if you want the exact GNOME 2 with no option to compromise, the
>>> attitude you may receive may simply become your payback.
>>
>> Marketing speech again. In GNOME 3.0 fallback mode was a joke. In 3.2
>> it is really closer to GNOME 2, though.
>
> I assume at least one problem is solved for you.
Yes, partially.

>>>  I absolutely undrestand that you like Linus. But don't you forget that
>>> Linus is a long time KDE user, and that's a different view on user
>>> interface and usability. We love GNOME for being GNOME unless switch DE
>>> easily and stop complaining. Knowing that Linus likes to troll both
>>> developers and users from time to time, it's funny to see the adherents of
>>> ye olde GNOME coming up with the quotes to support their point of view,
>>> especially when those are rather positive.
>>
>> This is not a matter of like or dislike. I don't know him personally
>> to like or dislike him, but he looks like a very sensible person and
>> this is what makes his opinions valuable.
>
> The GNOME developers are none the less sensible people. Especially those most
> committed. And if you knew how Linus handles arguements, you'd be used to be
> called names.

Judging by current Gnome-Shell, I would not call them sensible.