Tom Horsley:
>> You could install cups-pdf then use any tool you like

Timothy Murphy:
> such as?

Any program that can print to the printer, and you can select which
printer it prints to.  You choose the PDF printout option.

Having said that, I haven't got cups-pdf installed, yet if I call up the
print requester to print something (such as this email), and pick the
print-to-file option, I have options to produce a file that's PDF,
Postscript, or SVG.  And they all work.

 ~]$ rpm -qa cups\*
 cups-libs-1.5.4-18.fc17.i686
 cups-pk-helper-0.2.2-2.fc17.x86_64
 cups-libs-1.5.4-18.fc17.x86_64
 cups-1.5.4-18.fc17.x86_64

As far as the original poster's question is concerned, I have printed
landscape documents, with text and diagrams.  I used OpenOffice.org, or
the LibreOffice version, and used its own export as PDF function.

There are some advantages to using one or the other, it depends on what
you're doing.  Supposedly, using an export option in a desktop
publishing program should give you more control over layout, and maybe
more coherent placement of text.  Ever tried highlighting and copying
text from a PDF?  Sometimes it can be impossible to get several
paragraphs to copy in a sensible order.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.