On 06/17/2013 11:52 AM, jackson byers issued this missive:
Tim wrote:

 >Having said that, I haven't got cups-pdf installed,
 >yet if I call up the print requester
 >to print something (such as this email),
 >and pick the print-to-file option,
 >I have options to produce a file that's
 > PDF, Postscript, or SVG.  And they all work.

I am having trouble finding any option, method,etc to
"print-to-file".

(I did install cups-pdf, and I imagine it just works.
I see cups-pdf listed in the printer list.)

But what I would really like is what Tim describes.

Tim, just what do you mean by "call up the print requestor"?
  some path in http://localhost:631 ?
  or some way to query lpr?

Depends on what your application uses. The default mechanism for most
"Print..." menus should bring up a requestor asking you which printer
to use (for example, Firefox and Thunderbird uses this mechanism). The
choice at the top of the options is usually "Print to file" and the icon
is generally a green arrow pointing downwards to a drawer-like object.

Google-ish apps (like Chrome) use their own requestor, but if you click
on the "Change" button in the "Destination" window on the left, you
should find "Save to PDF" as an option under "Local Destinations".

To query lpr, just use "lpstat -t".

And how do you generate your options?

And just what is SVG?

I believe SVG is a GUI interface to subversion.