Am 24.04.2014 11:14, schrieb Rolf Turner:

For what it's worth I have for the past almost-a-year been using a
commercial package called "PDF Studio" for my editing duties. (I am for
my sins the Technical Editor of a statistics journal.)  PDF Studio is
reasonably Linux-friendly --- has worked without problem so far --- and
is not *too* brutally expensive; about $130 USD when I purchased it. Its
syntax is substantially different from that of Adobe Reader (or so it
seems) however.  That wasn't a problem for me since I'd never got used
to using Adobe Reader for marking up, but it might be off-putting to
those who are into the Adobe Reader way of doing things.

Thanks, Robert and Rolf, for pointing me to "PDF Studio", which I didn't know yet. Probably it's worth a try and the money (actually $89/$129, depending on versions "Standard"/"Pro").
Klaus