On 06/23/2015 08:24 AM, g wrote:

On 06/23/2015 07:46 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 06/23/2015 01:40 PM, g wrote:

Robert and Ralf,

On 06/22/2015 10:31 AM, ken wrote:
For some reason the "tech support" people at Hewlett-Packard don't
know what the default password is to access their printer's embedded
web server (EWS).
AFAICT, the factory-default is "admin" and no/empty password.

Its users manual is here:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04204791

  I got it myself from the installation manual six
months ago and immediately set my own password which I have used
since then, so I no longer remember what the default is.  (It's
really a longer story than that, but....)  So I was just hoping
that someone here might know what that default password is.  Mine
is an Officejet Pro 8620, but perhaps some other, recent HP printer
default password would work.

BTW: AFAICT, sw-wise all HP 86xxs (8610, 8620, 8630, ...) are very
similar, so his question should also apply to these.

(Yes, I've already tried various versions of "admin", an empty
password, and others, but just not anything which has worked.)

as he states, he has gone thru various 'incantations' to get into
printer, but all are failing and no user on centos list has same
printer to be able to help.

#1 item to try would be to try on the printer's touch-display. Most
settings are available there, too. I never tried this on my printer for
hopefully understandable reasons, but if desperate, I'd try a factory
reset (cf. the manual).

he did, and that is when "the fit really hit the shan". ;-)

personally, if i had such a printer on my system and i changed a
factory password, it would be to my user password or root user
password. neither of which i have/will/would forget.

plus, something like this is an ideal reason to use the desktop's
password wallet, it it has one. write it to a file somewhere.

I use KeePassX and carry its db file around on a USB thumb drive on
my keychain. I also have it on my Android phone, just in case and
there's versions of it around for danged near any OS/phone/tablet
around.