Not to rain on Jeff's parade but I too have been working on a CTypes
implementation.  I'll probably check the initial version into 2.6 in the
next few days but there's still a lot more to go before it's a solid
implementation.

As of right now running test\test_ctypes.py reports 358 tests run w/
75 failures and 195 errors.  So that's only a 25% pass rate but I'm
hoping we'll be able to get it all working in time for 2.6 beta 1.
The current plan is to add it but not have it enabled by default (so
import _ctypes will continue to fail).  Once it's passing all or
nearly all of the tests then it'll get flipped on and available by
default.

But I'm generally +1 on using ctypes for interop.