Jeff,

For the specific problem of the gcc compiler creating i386 objects and ifort creating x86_64 objects, in the config.log file it says

configure:26935: ifort -o conftest conftest.f conftest_c.o >&% ld: warning in conftest_c.o, file is not of required architecture

If configure could pick up on this and write an error message something like "Your C and fortran compilers are creating objects for different architectures. You probably need to change your CFLAG or FFLAG arguments to ensure that they are consistent" it would point the user more directly to the real problem. Right now the information is in the config.log file but it doesn't jump out at you.

Doug Reeder