Sorry, I should have been more specific: how about this?

It appears that your Fortran 77 compiler is unable to link against
object files created by your C compiler.  This typically indicates
one of a few possibilities:

  - A conflict between CFLAGS and FFLAGS
  - A problem with your compiler installation(s)
  - Different default build options between compilers (e.g., C
    building for 32 bit and Fortran building for 64 bit)
  - Incompatible compilers

Such problems can usually be solved by picking compatible compilers
and/or CFLAGS and FFLAGS.  More information (including exactly what
command was given to the compilers and what error resulted when the
commands were executed) is available in the config.log file in this
directory.