I love it when people submit FAQ text -- please do!  :-)

Check out our guidelines on how to write FAQ entries:

    https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/OMPIFAQEntries

On Aug 15, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

A number of distributors provide pre-compiled Open-MPI packages, so one
doesn't need to go to the trouble of compiling it.  For example, on
Debian GNU/Linux, Dirk Eddelbuettel has led a packaging effort such that
"apt-get install libopenmpi-dev openmpi-bin" (or the equivalent from
aptitude or synaptic) gets everything one needs to compile and run an
Open-MPI program.

Can someone add this to the FAQ? I'd be glad to contribute a paragraph, and update it as needed. (E.g. Debian Lenny will have a working version of 1.2.7-rc2, though Ubuntu Hardy universe has AFAIR a buggy version of
1.2.5...)

-Adam