With no comments in a week, can this go in?  Additional optional text
regarding an unofficial backport is inline below.

Thanks,
Adam

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 00:22 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Okay, here goes a start:
>
> Category: Platform Specific Questions | Debian/Ubuntu
>
> $q[] = "Which Debian Open MPI packages do I need?";
>
> $anchor[] = "debian-package-contents";
>
> $a[] = "That depends on your use of Open MPI.  If you are running a
> pre-compiled MPI binary in one process, you simply need [libopenmpi1].
> To launch jobs in multiple processes, you need [openmpi-bin], which
> includes [orted], [orterun] (_a.k.a._ [mpirun]), and [ompi_info].  To
> compile programs, you need [libopenmpi-dev], or if you need debugging
> symbols, then [libopenmpi-dbg] with debugging symbols.<p> Note: if you
> install, or have ever installed, mpich and/or lam packages, please be
> sure you use [update-alternatives] to make sure that the \"[mpi]\" and
> \"[mpirun]\" symlinks point to the Open MPI entries.";
>
> $q[] = "How do I run Open MPI programs in a Debian chroot environment?";
>
> $anchor[] = "debian-chroot-broken";
>
> $a[] = "As of version 1.2.7, this does not work; see " .
> aurchin_click("http://bugs.debian.org/494046";) . "Debian bug
> 494046</a>.";
>
> $q[] = "Is Ubuntu Linux a supported platform?";
>
> $anchor[] = "ubuntu";
>
> $a[] = "Unofficially, there are Open MPI packages in the Ubuntu
> \"universe\" package section.  Unfortunately, the packages in 8.04 LTS
> Hardy Heron are buggy, so you should either get packages from Debian
> Lenny or compile Open MPI yourself.<p> In general, Ubuntu gets its
> \"universe\" packages from Debian unstable at a time set by their
> release schedules, a time generally not known to the Debian package
> developers, so the quality of the Ubuntu packages is generally not as
> good as that of the packages in a Debian release.";

There is an unofficial backport of the 1.2.7-rc1 release for Ubuntu
Hardy Heron which you can get by following the instructions at:
http://www.opennovation.org/ubuntu/ .

> Dirk, any comments?
>
> -Adam
>
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 15:43 -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> > I love it when people submit FAQ text -- please do!  :-)
> >
> > Check out our guidelines on how to write FAQ entries:
> >
> >      https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/OMPIFAQEntries
> >

> > On Aug 15, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > > A number of distributors provide pre-compiled Open-MPI packages, so
> > > one
> > > doesn't need to go to the trouble of compiling it.  For example, on
> > > Debian GNU/Linux, Dirk Eddelbuettel has led a packaging effort such
> > > that
> > > "apt-get install libopenmpi-dev openmpi-bin" (or the equivalent from
> > > aptitude or synaptic) gets everything one needs to compile and run an
> > > Open-MPI program.
> > >
> > > Can someone add this to the FAQ?  I'd be glad to contribute a
> > > paragraph,
> > > and update it as needed.  (E.g. Debian Lenny will have a working
> > > version
> > > of 1.2.7-rc2, though Ubuntu Hardy universe has AFAIR a buggy version
> > > of
> > > 1.2.5...)
> > >
> > > -Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/