> Right -- OMPI builds shared libraries by default.

What is the proper way to build static libraries from RPM? Or tarball is the
only option to accomplish this?

> Really?  That's odd -- our mpif90 simply links against
> -lmpi_f90, not specifically .a or .so.  You can run
> "mpif90 --showme" to see the command that our
> wrapper *would* execute.  You can also tweak the flags that
> OMPI passes to the wrapper compilers; see this FAQ entry:

Well, I suppose if removing -lmpi_f90 and other mpi libs from command-line
would defeat the purpose of building an MPI executable. Moreover ld manual page
says that on platforms that support shared libraries it looks for .so first and
.a after that. But I've tried Fedora Core 6 and 9 and both give same result and
on both strace shows that ld doesn't attempt to look for libmpi_f90.so at all.

Does anyone has experience building MPI on Fedora? Are there any additional
steps required other then yum install openmpi*?

WBR Oleg V. Zhylin   o...@yahoo.com