My goal is to run some software that uses MPI so for now I the most standard
setup.

> Are you saying that you have libmpi_f90.so available and
> when you try to run, you get missing symbol errors?  Or are
> you failing to compile/link at all?

  Linking stage fails. When I use mpif90 to produce actual executable ld
reports error that it can't find -lmpi_f90. The libmpi_f90.so is in /usr/libs
but, again, as I've discovered ld doesn't even try to look for it. Maybe this
is ld problem, or ld in conjunction with gfortran...

> I always build via source (but I'm a developer, so my
> bias is a little different ;-) ).  I'm unfamiliar with
> Fedora's yum repositories...

 yum repositories for FC9 provide rpms for openmpi 1.2.4-2, but straightforward
installation resulted in problem with -lmpi_f90. As I've said before I've tried
this on two machines and their configurations are not exotic ones. I suppose
the predicament is something obvious so I hope to here from people with openmpi
experience under Fedora.

WBR Oleg V. Zhylin   o...@yahoo.com