For your runs with Open MPI over InfiniBand, try using openib,sm,self
for the BTL setting, so that shared memory communications are used
within a node.  It would give us another datapoint to help diagnose
the problem.  As for other things we would need to help diagnose the
problem, please follow the advice on this FAQ entry, and the help page:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#ofa-troubleshoot
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/