Hello!

I have compiled OpenMPI 1.3 with

        configure --prefix=$HOME/software

The compilation works fine, and I can run normal MPI programs.

However, I'm using OpenMPI to run a program that we currently develop
(http://www.espresso-pp.de). The software uses Python as a front-end
language, which loads the MPI-enabled shared library. When I start
python with a script using this parallel lib via mpiexec, I get the
following error:

> mpiexec -n 4 python examples/hello.py
python: symbol lookup error:
/people/thnfs/homes/lenzo/software.thop/lib/openmpi/mca_paffinity_linux.so:
undefined symbol: mca_base_param_reg_int
python: symbol lookup error:
/people/thnfs/homes/lenzo/software.thop/lib/openmpi/mca_paffinity_linux.so:
undefined symbol: mca_base_param_reg_int
python: symbol lookup error:
/people/thnfs/homes/lenzo/software.thop/lib/openmpi/mca_paffinity_linux.so:
undefined symbol: mca_base_param_reg_int
python: symbol lookup error:
/people/thnfs/homes/lenzo/software.thop/lib/openmpi/mca_paffinity_linux.so:
undefined symbol: mca_base_param_reg_int

When I compile OpenMPI 1.3 using

        --enable-shared --enable-static

the problem disappears. Note also, that the same program works when I'm
using OpenMPI 1.2.x (tested 1.2.6 and 1.2.9). I do believe that the
problem is connected with the problem described here:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2005/09/0359.php

I have found a workaround, but I think the problem is worth reporting.

Let me know if I can help in debugging the problem.

Greetings from Germany

        Olaf Lenz

PS: It is not obvious on the OpenMPI web site where to report bugs. When
clicking on "Bug Tracking", which seems most obvious, I'm redirected to
the Trac Timeline, and there is no place where I can report bugs or
anything.