I am very sorry for may bad behaviour: I will try to be less confused the next
time.

Thanks a lot for the outputs and the hints,
Jerome

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
[ It is considered bad form to publically reply to a private message. What I
had sent you earlier was a private mail. ]

<cf5d8e90-17ca-4b60-ae85-2bc2ee318...@cisco.com>  <49d4ef88.6060...@mailsnare.net>
<18901.114.820349.347...@ron.nulle.part>
| | Hello List, | | so let me precise: | | I submitted on a SLURM box the attached C source phello.c via sbatch with the attached script phello.sh | | mpicc -o phello phello.c
| sbatch phello.sh

Works for me (though I prefer salloc), suggesting that you did something to
your network topology or Open MPI configuration:

:~$ cat /tmp/jerome_hw.c
// mpicc -o phello phello.c
// mpirun -np 5 phello

#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int main(int narg, char *args[]){
  int rank,size;
        char ProcessorName[MPI_MAX_PROCESSOR_NAME];
        int ProcessorNameLength;

  MPI_Init(&narg,&args);

  MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&rank);
  MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&size);

        MPI_Get_processor_name(ProcessorName,&ProcessorNameLength);
        sleep(11);
        fprintf(stdout,
                        "Hello world! I am %d of %d and my name is `%s'\n",
                rank,size,
                ProcessorName);

  MPI_Finalize();

  return 0; }

//
// End of file `phello.c'.

:~$ mpicc.openmpi -o /tmp/jerome_hw /tmp/jerome_hw.c
:~$ orterun -np 2 /tmp/jerome_hw
Hello world! I am 1 of 2 and my name is `xyz-1'
Hello world! I am 0 of 2 and my name is `xyz-1'
:~$ salloc orterun -np 2 /tmp/jerome_hw
salloc: Granted job allocation 421
Hello world! I am 0 of 2 and my name is `xyz-1'
Hello world! I am 1 of 2 and my name is `xyz-1'
salloc: Relinquishing job allocation 421
:~$

| I have set no MCA parameter, and the firewalls are off, and the kernels
(2.6.16) were built with no Security feature.

Try simplifying further: no default hosts beside localhost etc.  Try orterun
before you try salloc.  Simplicity first.

Dirk