On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Bill Johnstone wrote:

Thank you for your responses. Based on the information you both provided, I was able to get buildrpm to make the OMPI RPM the way I wanted. I ended up having to define _prefix , _mandir , and _infodir .

Ah, yes -- _mandir and _infodir. Sorry; I should have mentioned those, but I always forget that some distros don't automatically put those dirs under _prefix. Sigh.

Additionally, I found I had to use --define "shell_scripts_basename mpivars" because without that, when I tried to use mpi-selector, mpi- selector did not find the installation since it specifically seems to look for the shell scripts as mpivars.{sh,csh} rather than mpivars-1.3.3.{sh,csh} as the .spec file builds. I think the .spec file should be changed to match what mpi-selector expects.

The intent of putting the version string at the end of the shell script names was to allow them to co-exist with other Open MPI installs in the same tree. In hindsight, that seems a little silly, because the scripts are installed in bindir -- where you can clearly only have 1 Open MPI installed at a time. I'll fix.

Jeff, it might also be really useful to have a .spec build option to allow the RPM to register itself as the system default. I hand- modified the .spec file to do this. Please let me know if I should register a feature request somewhere more formally.

Sure, that sounds reasonable. What --define option did you add for it? Something like --define "mpi_selector_default 1" that causes -- system to be added to the mpi-selector command lines in %post and %preun?