Actually, a cmd line option to mpirun already existed for this purpose.
Unfortunately, it wasn't properly being respected, so even knowing about it
wouldn't have helped.

I have fixed this as of r22925 on our developer's trunk and started the script
to generate a fresh nightly tarball. Give it a little time and then you can
find it on the web site:

http://www.open-mpi.org/nightly/trunk/

Use the -q or --quiet option and the message will be suppressed. I will request
that this be included in the upcoming 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 releases.