On Jul 12, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Brian Budge wrote:

> Hi Jody -
>
> Thanks for the reply.  is there a way of "fusing" intercommunicators?
> Let's say I have a higher level node scheduler, and it makes a new
> node available to a COMM that is already running.  So the master
> spawns another process for that node.  How can the new process
> communicate with the other already started processes?

They can connect/accept via ompi-server - checkout "man ompi-server". You can
also have them all rendezvous at a common mpirun if you prefer by using the
appropriate mca param to give the required contact info.

> Also, how can you specify with MPI_Comm_spawn/multiple() how do you
> specify IP addresses on which to start the processes?

Look at "man MPI_Comm_spawn"

> If my higher level node scheduler needs to take away a process from my
> COMM, is it good/bad for that node to call MPI_Finalize as it exits?

The entire job will automatically abort if it fails to call Finalize as this is
considered an abnormal termination event.

> I would prefer not to use any of the MPI command-line utilities
> (mpirun/mpiexec) if that's possible.

Not possible at the moment. I have provided a patch to another user on this
list that made it possible to use ompi-server as a rendezvous point for
singletons, but that isn't in any formal release yet.