HI Ralph -

Thanks for the reply.  I think this patch sounds great!  The idea in
our software is that it won't be known until after the program is
running whether or not MPI is needed, so it would be best if the
communication initialization could be done programmatically instead of
through an external program like mpirun.  Is there a plan for this to
enter the mainline?

  Brian