Hi Ralph,

Am 25.11.2011 um 03:47 schrieb Ralph Castain:

> On Nov 24, 2011, at 2:00 AM, Reuti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 24.11.2011 um 05:26 schrieb Jaison Paul:
>>
>>> I am trying to access OpenMPI processes over Internet using ssh and not
>>> quite successful, yet. I believe that I should be able to do it.
>>>
>>> I have to run one process on my PC and the rest on a remote cluster over
>>> internet. I have set the public keys (at .ssh/authorized_keys) to access
>>> remote nodes without a password.
>>>
>>> I use hostfile to run mpi. It will read something like:
>>> -----------------------------
>>> localhost
>>> u...@remotehost.com
>>
>> this is not a valid syntax for Open MPI.
>
> This isn't correct

I'm completely sorry about this, it wasn't my intention to misguide anyone. But
this syntax isn't something I would have expected to work, nor is it documented
in `man mpiexec` AFAICS. I suggest to add it there or at
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running. Or maybe a complete new man page
for "hostfile", where also slots= and max_slots= are explained in one location.

NB: Checking orte/util/hostfile/hostfile.c even ^ to exclude hosts is
supported, but from which initial list will they be excluded? In the `man
orte_hosts` I find --default-hostfile which could be the initial list, but
--default-hostfile isn't in mpirun's man page.

-- Reuti