You might also want to set up your shell startup files on each machine to
reflect the proper PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  E.g., if you have a different
.bashrc on each machine, just have it set PATH and LD_LIBARY_PATH properly *for
that machine*.

To be clear: it's usually easiest to install OMPI to the same prefix on every
machine, but there's no technical requirement from OMPI to do so.