On Oct 26, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Nicolas Deladerriere
<nicolas.deladerri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for your comments
>
> Ralph
>
> What I was initially looking at is a tool (or option of orte-clean) that
> clean up the mess you are talking about, but only the mess that have been
> created by a single mpirun command. As far I have understood, orte-clean
> clean all mess on a node associated to all open-mpi process that have run (or
> are currently running).

That is correct. We could fairly easily modify it to cleanup leftover files
from a single mpirun without affecting others. Unfortunately, there really
isn't any easy way to tell what processes belong to a specific mpirun, so
selectively killing zombies would be very hard to do

> According to Rolph comment, usually, mpirun command does not leave any zombie
> processes, Hence it seems that the effect of orte-clean is limited. But,
> since it exists, I was wondering that it is doing usefull stuff ?

It was created during the early years of our work when zombies were frequently
occurring. The need for it has declined over the years, but we keep it around
because we do still hit problems on occasion - especially during development.