Thanks all for your comments

Ralph

What I was initially looking at is a tool (or option of orte-clean) that
clean up the mess you are talking about, but only the mess that have been
created by a single mpirun command. As far I have understood, orte-clean
clean all mess on a node associated to all open-mpi process that have run
(or are currently running).

According to Rolph comment, usually, mpirun command does not leave any
zombie processes, Hence it seems that the effect of orte-clean is limited.
But, since it exists, I was wondering that it is doing usefull stuff ?

Cheers,
Nicolas