I looked closer at your configure output this morning, and I think I see the
issue: I think your gfortran may be borked -- here's some output in config.log:

-----
configure:163678: checking if gfortran supports -c -o file.o
configure:163699: gfortran -c  -o out/conftest2.o conftest.f >&5
i686-apple-darwin10-gfortran-4.2.1: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No
such file or directory
configure:163703: $? = 1
configure:163725: result: no
-----

Note the "f951" execvp error -- that looks to me like gfortran is trying to
exec a sub-executable named f951 and failing.  I see other errors above this,
too:

-----
configure:28218: gfortran -c  conftest.F >&5
i686-apple-darwin10-gfortran-4.2.1: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such
file or directory
configure:28218: $? = 1
-----

So I think your gfortran is borked in some cases, and it's causing configure to
get confused and choose to make static libraries.

I know you supplied --disable-mpi-f77, and that turns off all of OMPI's fortran
bindings.  But the version of libtool that we're using in the OMPI 1.6 series
still checks for C, C++, and Fortran, even if the project doesn't use C++ or
Fortran (this has been fixed in later versions of libtool).

Can you either uninstall your borked gfortran, install a proper/working
gfortran, and/or adjust your path to not find the borked gfortran?

Wow -- that's a fun failure case.  :-)