> Take a look at http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/CreatingWebApplications

I have looked there. That's where I learned how to change my development
environment from the previously mentioned responsive, productive setup to my
new, slow-and-painful setup that requires me to run a bunch of unnecessary
processing tasks just to make a minor change to a class or jsp.

In the above referenced link, there is a note that says:

> During the development cycle you typically want / need fast turn
> around of changes into the running container. This can be achieved
> by using the maven console (maven console) and using the war:webapp goal

This helps the problem only slightly. It still has to copy the whole
directory. Also, the war:webapp goal runs all my unit tests. I suppose I
could create a new goal that just copies the bare minimum. But it seems
illogical to slow down the development cycle with unnecessary copying and
waiting.

I'm too young to have experienced the days when you would write your program
and then have to walk to a different room to see the output. But now I know
how painful it must have been :)

I want to follow the Maven directory structure standards because in doing
so, I'll gain the most benefit from Maven. I have already given in on moving
my tests into their own tree :) But this webapp thing will KILL my
productivity thus negating the benefits of Maven.

Dave Ford
Smart Soft - The Developer Training Company
http://www.smart-soft.com