> This helps the problem only slightly. It still has to copy the whole
> directory. Also, the war:webapp goal runs all my unit tests. I suppose I
> could create a new goal that just copies the bare minimum. But it seems
> illogical to slow down the development cycle with unnecessary copying and
> waiting.

You don;t need to copy a directory!

you have at least 3 alternative solutions:

a) set your
    maven.war.webapp.dir=${maven.appserver.home}/webapps/NAME OF YOUR
APPLICATION

b) Configure you Web Server and point to dierctory where your web
application is (can be simply /target/webapp)

c) use maven-appserver-plugin (only with Tomcat)

Michal