> We use multiproject:install and it happily uses the reactor
> to compile and install all jars based on their dependency order.

Not in beta 10. The multiproject plugin does not work in beta 10, because
it's syntax when using <j:set> is incorrect (uses "name" instead of
"value").

> Can you show us those dependencies again?

>From the original mail:

I have the following layout:

maven.xml  (Main project)
applications/registration/project.xml  (Builds foo.ear)
modules/web/project.xml   (Builds foo.war)
modules/bar/project.xml   (Builds bar.jar from source code)

I want foo.ear to contain foo.war which contains bar.jar. This means bar.jar
needs to get built first, then foo.war, then foo.ear.

As near as I can figure, the only way to control the build order using
reactor is to set up the dependencies in a certain way:

modules/bar/project.xml

<project>
        ... snip ...
  <id>bar</id>
      ... snip ...
</project>

modules/web/project.xml

<project>
  <id>foo</id>
  <groupid>foo</groupid>
        ... snip ...
  <dependencies>
      <dependency>
         <groupId>foo</groupId>
         <artifactId>bar</artifactId>
        ... snip ...
         <properties>
            <war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
         </properties>
      </dependency>
        ... snip ...
  </dependencies>
        ... snip ...
</project>

Found one additional thing: in a setup like this, before anything is built,
try calling multiproject:clean (which also doesn't work under beta 10, but
you can call multiproject:goal with goal="clean:clean"). This generates an
error, because Maven claims it can't find the jar in the repository. This is
true, but it should not need the jar to clean out the project.