> Steve Garcia wrote:
> > Yup, I feared that almost all of Maven's plugins rely on a single
> > source directory.
>
> It is a conscious design decision, not an unintended mis-feature.

I understand this is an intended feature.

> > I guess another solution is to move all of the source to a
> single temp
> > directory before any plugins are executed.
>
> Yet another one, but much more Mavenish is to break down your
> project into multiple smaller projects connected with a
> network of dependencies. Each of these will have a directory
> for sources and tests.

Yes...and I am looking into this right now.  I might prefer this
solution because then each component owner can maintain their
own documentation, unit tests, etc.  All nice and pretty.

> I know that this approach may not be easy to adopt for
> certain projects especially in corporate enviroments.

The end goal of our product is to deploy two jar files, one
containing our core platform and the other containing our
dependencies.  By breaking up our components into little
subprojects, there has to be a way of delivering our product
as it always has.  Maybe UberJar is our answer for combining all
of the sub projects, maybe I have to write our own maven plugin.

> > Are there any suggestions or enhancement requests to
> require plugins
> > to handle multiple source directories?  If that can be a
> requirement,
> > then this idea wouldn't seem difficult to deal with.
>
> Proposals to enhance plugins in this way are very unlikely to
> be accepted (see above).

Here is my thought - in the end the "maven.compile.src.set" path
is represented as an Ant-like path structure.  "maven.compile.src.set"
can contain one path, 2 paths, perhaps 35 paths.

Plugins do use "maven.compile.src.set" so it would seem sensible
that if each plugin cannot support a path like structure to do it's
task, then it should iterate through every path in
"maven.compile.src.set" and do it's work.  Therefore the javadoc
plugin, for example, would definitely work without the hack I put in.

Does this seem sensible?  With jelly scripting, it looks easy to
write a for loop and go through each path and do something.  I
understand that Maven emphasizes a single directory for source,
but because plugins handle everything it seems reasonable that
They receive an "array" of source paths and iterate through each one.