> > Of course this only applies to unit tests. Integration tests and
> > acceptance tests are another story.
>
> Sound argument. Are you suggesting then that a distinction be made
> between unit, integeration, and acceptence tests in the project
> directory structure?

I've been following this thread intently now.

What the maven core philosophy for testing, and the distinction between
unit / integration / acceptance tests would make for an excellent piece
of documentation.

I think this would be useful for the book too.
  Added it to http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/UserInput .

I find myself getting confused occasionally about the differences when
attempting to describe it to a fellow software developer.

So ...

I created a wiki page on http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/TestingPhilosophies
to help me get things straight for me and other developers (not to mention
management).

I encourage the participants of this thread to add their own comments to
this page.  If I can enlighten 1 other developer with this page, it will
have been worth it.

/* Joakim Erdfelt - java coding gorilla - maven neophyte */