That's hardly a good enough reason. In fact, I'd prefer to change it
then, so that the bugs get shaken out. In my case, I've moved it into
the WEB-INF directory, because I want a nice easily deployed web-app
during development, but also to keep as much stuff as possible out of
public view.

Traditions are all well and good, but they're a pain when you want to do
something different, which always comes soon enough...

Nick