Jason brings up a valid point -- however, we have been using

maven.build.dir=${basedir}/build

and haven't had any plug-in blow up, yet -- at least not because of it :)

As Nick points out, this is a good way to find out if "target" has been hard-coded in
any plug-in!

The docs you are referring to are talking about the case when (and if) you build Maven
itself from source.  If you happen to do that simply follow the instructions verbatim
and all will be well.

Sri