Are you really meaning it's being run through velocity ??
So if understand well, these encoding variables are just >>needed<< all the times!!
Why not treat XML as XML ? Hence use the encoding header decently.
This is just a shame!
(or I'm mistaking)

This could be a reason I had so many atrocities about encodings in my organization for example...

The funky thing is that such all xdoc and navigation.xml get processed through jelly anyways later (hence as XML), does it mean there's some velocity before ? I don't understand this.

Paul