I agree with you Loic!

It's quite strange, in the first releases (1.0 beta x) maven used a
global repository, shared by all the users.
Maybe it can be quite interesting to have a global repository (shared by
all the users) and also the possibility to extend it.

Xavier

[ I've wondered exactly the same way the first time I configured maven ]

Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Wed, Dec 17, 2003:

> In the vast majority of cases Maven is used on a single machine by a
> sinlge user. But imagine a single user with 100 projects on their
> machine where many of the projects use the same JARs. You save quite a
> bit of space.

 Now consider a shared repository for all users of a machine
 instead. Thet would make no difference to a single user on a single
 machine but that would reduce a lot the space consumption for a
 multi-user machine.

 A lot of other programs can already share interesting data between
 users, for example the manual pages, or the bitmap rendering of fonts,
 locale data, etc.

 If the local repository is meant to avoid downloading a jar on each
 build by an user, why wouldn't it also be capable of avoiding the
 download of this jar by different users?

   But I would rather prefer the maven developers to work on other
 important topics, as you said: maven is mostly used on single-user
 machines. And there is maven-proxy anyway for _bandwith_ saving.

--
Loïc Minier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>