Hi,

I know one good reason why local repository is set per user, and if I
remember history it was the main reason why this change was implemented
since beta-9.

The matter is that local repository contains not only external depencencies
of a project you develop. It contains also the developed artifact that might
be in inconsistent state - artifact:install puts them into local repository.
Morover, you can't avoid that if you use reactored build process - artifacts
created in a subproject should be installed into the local repository to
become visible to other subprojects.

So separation of users' local repositories prevents conflicts when several
persons work on the same project in parallel. Especially if you use
SNAPSHOT's in your projects' dependencies.

But even keeping all this in mind, it would be reasonable to share part of
the local repository that contains only external dependencies. I suggested
the concepts of "three repos - remote, shared, local" instead of the current
"two repos - remote local" while ago. Henning suggested it too and he even
provided a patch that was not accepted (see
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msg
No=695.

Probably it is the time to recover this issue again?

--
Alexei Barantsev, ISP RAS
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]