> So how do we fix this? I've seen many Maven sites that don't have the
> problem. Why not?

I'm not sure how to fix this.  I just looked at http://db.apache.org/torque
and there are several pages that contain anchor tags that have an extra
space.  In this case the extra space comes after the end of the <a> tag, so
you'll see on your browser

<Turbine Framework> .                  (where <Turbine Framework> is a link)

and the HTML looks like

.

There is a CRLF after the </a> and the period "."

I think this is annoying but the reason why I haven't put more time into it
is it's not that big of a deal to me and it would probably involve looking
at the source code for Anakia, which is the tool that transforms XML into
documentation.  It's located here
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html

So the fix would be a lot of work and in my opinion is low priority.

In any event, a bug should be logged for this.  First need to find out if
it's Maven responsibility (using an old version of Anakia or Velocity) or if
it's Velocity's responsibility.

-- Steve