I believe it would only compile <sourceDirectory> if
<generatedSourceDirectory> didn't exist...

As for the serial generator execution, the only real problem I see is
_what_ a particular generator would attach to as a <preGoal>. I mean, it
might depend upon whether xDoclet, javaCC, antlr, etc. was running, and
in a dynamic (unguessable) set of circumstances for different projects,
I'm not sure how to get consistent behavior from these generators when
they're used as maven plugins...when they're used as custom add-ons
within the maven.xml, then it's a no-brainer.

-j