> There will always be some hairy cases where something Maven does isn't
> compatible with a given method but the
> <generatedSourceDirectory/> would
> go a long way to making things better. In the cases where things are
> hairy, as John said, you can always whip something together in your
> maven.xml file.
>
> --
> jvz.

-1 for <generatedSourceDirectory/>

<sourceDirectory> and other things in POM exists only because maven cannot
(yet :) ) impose common
directory structure of projects (e.g. where sourceDirectory is fixed to
location like src/main/java)
But nothing on Earth can stop us from doing things in standard way inside
"target" directory!!!

and we are free to do whatever we want inside "target" directory and force
plugins to cooperate
via well defined directory structure.

For example the following rules can be imposed on plugins the following
rules on plugins:

a) All artifacts generated by project are put to
  /target/repository/${artifact_path}  where ${artifact_path} matches
artifact path in local/remote repository
b) All Java source code generator generate their stuff into
/target/generated/java

Michal