You're right. This is a current limitation of the iajc task (it can only
weave jars). Here's what I wrote in the plugin.jelly file (in the
header):

TODO:
- Need to add back the ajdoc goal
- Try to find a solution to weave at the class level instead of at the
jar
  level as some other plugins (like the war one) do not go through the
  jar:jar goal (they stop at the java:compile step).
- Add goals/properties xdoc documentation
- Add other iajc attributes as plugin properties
- Add a aspectj:jar-deploy goal

See item 2.

It seems this is something that the aspectj team also wanted to add
(weaving directories in addition to jars). I don't know what the status
is.

Thanks
-Vincent