http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/EnsureProjectConsistencyWithEntities
> for
> > more details.
>
> Do a lot of people actually use this mechanism?
>
> Is it simply because maven1 doesn't support recursive inheritance?

Yes, mostly.

> Maven2 support recursive inheritance well so would anyone still really
> need to use entities like this. Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter
> how the POM comes together but I would like support to come from Maven
> itself and not the use of entities which I would consider a
workaround.

I agree with this. However I'm not sure recursive inheritance is enough.
If we wish to support all use case, we'll need to support dependencies
reference as several projects may want to share some references while
they are not sharing exactly the same set of references. Putting all
references at the top level would mean that several subprojects which do
not need all these references will still inherit from them.

-Vincent

install-snapshot or