Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 14:38, Mark Langley wrote:
>> If you use XML entities to define your version numbers rather than hard
>> coding them in the project.xml files, the process of switching between
>> snapshot and release versions becomes much easier.
>>
>> See http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/EnsureProjectConsistencyWithEntities
>> for more details.
>
> Do a lot of people actually use this mechanism?
>
> Is it simply because maven1 doesn't support recursive inheritance?
>
> Maven2 support recursive inheritance well so would anyone still really
> need to use entities like this. Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter
> how the POM comes together but I would like support to come from Maven
> itself and not the use of entities which I would consider a workaround.

Yes and no, but entities have their pros and cons.

Inheritance is not anything and it depends on the element. E.g. in a
multiproject you might have specific developers for the subprojects, but
you would like to have them collected in the main project.

Also I would not like to inherit always all dependencies from a dependent
project, because some dependencies there might only be used to build the
package or some are only used for test. E.g. commons-configuration has a
dependency for dom4j although I can use the package (well, parts) without.
Additionally I would not like to have the test dependencies of it inherited
(simple-jndi, hsqldb, commons-db, dbunit, ...). While this component is
normally an "external" artifact, I have similar situations in my projects.

Using entities you can also create a company-wide repository. The "locator"
might point to a webserver. Unfortunately such a "entity repository" makes
your POMs quite unmoveable ...

Regards,
Jörg