I was using 2.0-beta-7 until yesterday.  I changed to 2.1.

At the time, I only had a single site.xml at the parent level.  It
included the <menu ref="parent"/> tag.  Assuming that all of the <menu>
tags are inherited, I would have thought this would work.  I've also
tried it with site.xml in each module with equivalent tags.

My project is set up standard, though.  The parent project contains all
of the modules, "physically."