I've inserted the following configuration to my pom.xml (taken from here
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/examples/copy-resources.html
):

      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.4.1</version>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>copy-resources</id>
            <!-- here the phase you need -->
            <phase>validate</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>copy-resources</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <outputDirectory>${basedir}</outputDirectory>
              <resources>
                <resource>
                  <directory>src/non-packaged-resources</directory>
                  <filtering>true</filtering>
                </resource>
              </resources>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

The directory src/non-packaged-resources exists and my file is in there.
When I run mvn resources:copy-resources I get the following:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] One or more required plugin parameters are invalid/missing for
'resources:copy-resources'

[0] Inside the definition for plugin 'maven-resources-plugin' specify the
following:

<configuration>
  <outputDirectory>VALUE</outputDirectory>
</configuration>.

[1] Inside the definition for plugin 'maven-resources-plugin' specify the
following:

<configuration>
  <resources>VALUE</resources>
</configuration>.

But I specified both directories as in the configuration snippet above. What
am I doing wrong?