Kathryn-
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I think you have this
exactly backwards. The "svn-centric thinking" is what's inspired someone
to put multiple projects in the same repository. AFAIK, this is simply
not supported by git, i.e. there's no way to clone, branch or tag _part_
of a repository.

I am by no means a git expert, so I could be mistaken about this.

Justin