On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM, napple fabble <jm.postili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing I need to do is "mvn release:prepare". This creates the
> correct tag and updates trunk as I want it to. I haven't had any need for
> release:perform.

Really?  Where are you getting the released artifacts then?  Release
Perform is what checks out from the newly created tag and builds the
artifacts...

> QUESTION: What do I do when I find some last bugs while installing the
> release and want to fix them. I would ideally like to have both 1.5 tag and
> the trunk (1.6-SNAPSHOT) updated with the fixes. Can I do this somehow
> conveniently with release plugin, or do I have to do it manually (if so,
> what's the best approach? just fix trunk and copy the changed to the tag?).

What scm tool are you using?  The following assumes Subversion:
Generally tags are not changed, the point is to know exactly what code
your release came from.

If you find you need to make a fix, then you can branch from the tag
-- in your case the version number on your branch might be
1.5.1-SNAPSHOT.

Then you would merge the fix from the branch to your 1.6-SNAPSHOT trunk.

At that point you can release one or both with the fix.  But version
1.5 should not be "updated" with the fix -- it's already released.
Just move on to 1.5.1.  Version numbers are free. :)

If you really, really want "Version 1.5" to be perfect, then consider
releasing some alpha/beta/milestone/release candidates beforehand.

--
Wendy