Sorry, could not respond to this thread sooner...

Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM, napple fabble <jm.postili...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The only thing I need to do is "mvn release:prepare". This creates the
>> correct tag and updates trunk as I want it to. I haven't had any need for
>> release:perform.
>
> Really?  Where are you getting the released artifacts then?  Release
> Perform is what checks out from the newly created tag and builds the
> artifacts...

What I do is just

1. release:prepare
2. go to tags/<release_version>
3. build there
4. copy the created artifacts (such as a jar) to production

I don't have any need for deploying the artifacts to any repositories other
than my local one.

Step 4 is actually automatic, there's a maven antrun plugin bound to
install-phase which scp's the created artifact to the correct phase. There
might be some more "maven-like" alternative for doing this, but I rememer
trying out a few things when I was setting up the build and this way I at
least got it working.

I would like the while process to be as straightforward as possible and as
little direct svn branching / merging as possible. I think I will just do
like

1. create release 1.5 with release plugin
2. if I find out something to fix, fix it
3. create release 1.5.1 with release plugin

For some reason I was assuming that if I have used release plugin to release
1.5 and make current version 1.6-SNAPSHOT I would not be able to "go back"
and release 1.5.1....but I guess that would not make much sense. I will try
that.