Hi Stephen,

I agree with you, I'll surely use the script-like approach.

Nevertheless, I'd like to point I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" with my
own lifecycle.

I undestand your position which is "let's standardize lifecycles : this way,
we'll can provide out-of-the box features and maintain homogeneity between
plugins".
I understand, then, the fact that you shouldn't encourage creation of new
lifecycles (this is perhaps the reason why there is a big lack in the
documentation about this point ?).

In my specific case, there is a good reason why I don't why to plug the
"clean copy-dependencies my-home-made-plugin-goal" on the default lifecycle
: I want to execute this specific lifecycle "by hand" (for example, after a
change in the <dependency> section in my pom).
Plugging this on the default lifecycle implies some problems, especially
when using the maven-release-plugin (ex: first step which verify if no local
modifications has been made is blocking sometimes).

I think maven users will always have specific needs that can't be satisfied
by the default (or standards) lifecycle nor "all-made-plugin".
To my mind, maven users should have the possibility to create their own
lifecycles if they  understand the pros & cons of doing so (no problems if
there are lots of disclaimers like "creating your own lifecycle is bad !
Maven team doesn't guarantee the good execution of this lifecycle in the
next version of maven").
I find too bad to say "if you want to chain maven plugins, then call maven
via ANT or shell scripts"

Frédéric